CAMH Opiod Dependence Treatment Core Course (Alberta Version)
DATE & TIME: Friday February 2nd – April 2nd 2018
COURSE OVERVIEW This course is the foundation of the Opioid Dependence Treatment Certificate Program. The course is designed to promote interprofessional collaboration among the health care team involved in opioid dependence treatment. In this online course physicians, nurses, pharmacists and counsellors/case managers learn skills and review guidelines for effective and safe management of clients receiving methadone or buprenorphine maintenance treatment for opioid dependence.
COURSE OBJECTIVES: After successfully completing the program, participants will be able to:
- Explain the pharmacology of opiates and how they affect the brain
- Assess patients for opioid dependence based on the DSM-IV criteria
- Differentiate abstinence based treatment and withdrawal management from methadone and buprenorphine maintenance treatment
- Decide on the appropriate treatment modality for the opioid-dependent client
- Implement safe prescribing, dosing, and dispensing of methadone and buprenorphine
- Incorporate urine drug testing into opioid maintenance treatment program
- Include counselling and case management in methadone and buprenorphine maintenance treatment
- Demonstrate interprofessional collaboration when providing opioid dependence treatment with methadone and buprenorphine
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: physicians, nurses, pharmacists and counsellors/case managers
The brochure is not currently available, but you can sign up here to be notified when it becomes available.
If you have any questions, please contact Rosanna Saavedra at (403) 270-2330 or at firstname.lastname@example.org